Tim Hunt  April 6, 2018 

I never got the opportunity to do so. but I'd love to fooll around with a new Ning 2.0 website. :)

From what it sounds like, it really was what made ning successful. I wish Ning 2.0 sites could return to the new open market. and that the only thing from Ning 3 portable to Ning 2 is perhaps multiple instances of the same features. Other than that, they're even made more user friendly and with more engagement tools than you could shake a stick at.

It's not a dream. Its basically a matter of flicking a switch on the management side of things to allow the creation of new websites to use the 2.0 platform.

You seriously don't know what you're missing out on. You're right. Ning was originally built on 1.0 websites, before it changed in 2007 to the 2.0 model. The 1.0 model started in 2004 originally was code you could install on your own server, and connect it to the Ning database. In other words, allowing you to make your own php modifications. It was quite basic, and only offered a blog among other things. But when Ning disabled source code edits entirely, 2.0 was born. This made some initial creators unhappy, realizing the platform would become less customizable, but in return, we received what 2.0 is today.

Fast forward 6 years and Ning 3.0 is born. Unlike 2.0, Ning 3 networks were created to market a cause within the age of responsive and very buggy software. Which is still the case to this day. It's original feature set from 2013 - 2016 was just blogs, discussions, members and photos. a far cry from what 2.0 was considered, an upgrade once network created on or after March 11 2013 were automatically converted to 3.0. Given the chance I'd jump back to 2.0 without looking back. there's nothing on 3.0 I'd rather have. It is as you say, engagement is key. But it's not just that. It's ease of use. Sure, Ning 2.0 includes flash player for some features. The music player, badges, video and photos uploads are proof of this. But we never had any issues with flash back in the day. It originally came with a flash chat, which although basic, worked just fine until it was replaced with the html5 version you see in 2011. It's primary development actually didn't start until 2010, when Ning went from free to paid. That change caused sadly, many networks to go offline even after the transition and initial agreements were made to entice people to stay. To a certain extent, Ning isn't as customizable as say Social Engine or Dolphin, but it's pretty close to it in one way or another. Ning 2.0 is the pinnacle of all that Ning has offered. Having seen the platform transition many times, the best will remain the best because of the professional developers working on keeping it the best. this was back in Gina Bianchini's time. Before Ning was bought out by Glam Media, then known as Mode Media.

Yes I share your dream.Building on 2.0 would be a great step forward for Ning, even if it's a step backwards to even select it as an option, classic Ning, with the existing pricing plans structure in tact.

Views: 9

Replies to This Discussion

Ciao Tony. Grazie per aver condiviso questi commenti. Sono d'accordo con quello che dicino Tim e Elshara.

Truth be told, I know the majority of Ning customers who started their communities on version 2.0 would love move on.

RSS

About

Tony Rosa created this Ning Network.

Discussion Forum

From Network Creators

Started by Tony Rosa. Last reply by Giacomo Federici Apr 10. 2 Replies

Tim Hunt  April 6, 2018 I never got the opportunity to do so. but I'd love to fooll around with a new Ning 2.0 website. :)From what it sounds…Continue

The reason for creating a personalized social network can be simply the fact that you don’t like Facebook.

Started by Tony Rosa Jan 21. 0 Replies

Currently, Facebook rules the social media world. According to the 2017 survey, about 68% of U.S adults use Facebook, and more than 65 million businesses are owners of a Facebook fan page. Nowadays,…Continue

Ning 2.0 is a nice form of entertainment

Started by Tony Rosa Jan 11. 0 Replies

Social Networking is a nice form…Continue

A look back at Ning

Started by Tony Rosa Jan 7. 0 Replies

A look back at Ning - Ning means peace in Chinese, but the meaning actually has relevance as to why it was picked. The name Ning was picked simply because it "was short, sweet, and wouldn't take away…Continue

Sostieni il nostro sito

Badge

Loading…

SALMO 23

© 2018   Created by Tony Rosa.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service